Q&A: What is Modified Car Insurance?
Modified Car Insurance is a specialist type of insurance. It requires understanding the technicalities of modifications, specifications of parts, and the insurance market.
Here are some of the main questions we get asked, and the answers we provide…
What classifies as a modification?
A modification on a car can mean something as little as adding alloy wheels, or something as extravagant a turbo conversion. These modifications can add value, increase the risk of theft, and make it more difficult to find replacement parts.
This is why modified cars are referred to as ‘non-standard’ vehicles. Remember, if your car isn’t standard, then your insurance shouldn’t be either.
Let’s get a bit more in-depth about what a Modified Car Insurance policy entails…
Must you disclose every single modification when taking out a policy?
Yes – you should update your insurance company accordingly. This means every single time a modification is added to the car thereafter, you must notify them!
What are the minimum requirements for ‘Comprehensive Cover’ with Sky Insurance?
Under a Sky Insurance policy, the minimum requirements are:
- You must be at least 21 years’ old
- You must have at least 1 year NCB (No Claims Bonus) or proof of ‘claims free’ driving
- You must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 2 years
How can you potentially reduce the costs of a Modified Car Insurance policy?
There are numerous things you can do to potentially reduce the cost of your insurance:
- Increase security features – add an alarm or immobiliser if the car does not already have one (in particular – alarms which have been categorised by ‘Thatcham’). This is one of the most effective ways you can prevent your car from being stolen or broken in to.
- Park your car somewhere safe, such as a garage or a driveway.
- Limit your mileage (we offer ‘limited mileage discounts’).
- Tracking devices – for vehicles with a high net-worth (such as a Lamborghini or Ferrari) we recommend getting a recognised tracking device fitted to your car.
Modified Car Insurance from Sky Insurance
We design your Modified Car Insurance policy to ensure your pride and joy is covered, should the worst happen. Here’s just some of what we can offer within our specialist Modified Car Insurance schemes:
- Introductory Discounts
- Agreed Valuation Cover
- Limited Mileage Discounts
- ‘Like for Like’ Modification Cover
Rest assured, you’re in safe hands too – most of our team are car enthusiasts themselves, so they know what they’re talking about!
For more information, visit our Modified Car Insurance webpage.
Here’s a few of the modified cars we have on cover at the moment…
Cars above include: Amy’s Nissan 350z, Connor’s Mazda Eunos MX5, Chris’ Toyota Supra, Craig’s Ford Focus RS, Martin’s Ford Falcon FG XR6, and Stephen’s Subaru WRXS.
We regularly write ‘Customer Car Feature’ articles and hold an annual ‘Customer Car Day’ where our customers can meet at our office, with their cars, and see the work that everyone else has done to their cars. Sound like fun? Get in contact with us to find out more…